Friday, January 2, 2009

Dear friends,


In October of 2008 an email was sent out directing you to this blog. I was feeling a little nervous about how it may be perceived and I hoped that it would speak to the recipients and that it would come across exactly as I intended it to. Realizing that there are hundreds of causes out there, the expectations I had for support were realistic but I had a lot of passion and hope to reach the goal as it was a cause that was very close to my heart.

Every time I thought about Madelin and her birth, I got very emotional. Until one experiences a life threatening event it is nearly impossible to even begin to try to put into words the profound affect it can have on the people involved. With her first birthday approaching I needed a special way to celebrate it. Although Madi's 1st birthday was the catalyst for this cause, the true reason is a different one; “TO GIVE BACK” to the hospital that saved her life so that they can continue to save many more. If we could help the hospital acquire one item from the urgent needs list, we could actually improve the quality of care some babies will receive. We could actually help other parents by giving them peace of mind knowing that their babies don't need to be separated after birth. We could actually make a difference!

I spent last weekend at The Royal Columbian Hospital selling chocolate covered almonds and I had conversations with many, many individuals. I was fortunate enough to have them share their stories with me; I also got to share ours. Hearing first hand how lives are saved daily at Royal Columbian Hospital was one of the most significant experiences of my life; and reaffirmed that this campaign was not only important but MATTERED.

As you all know, the goal was to raise as much money as possible towards the cost of a Co-bedding Cribette for the hospital by December 31st, 2008. The price tag: $8,165.00.

It is with great joy that I report that together, our goal was not only reached but exceeded by raising $8,837.06! (Once the funds for the chocolates that are at various offices are sold, the campaign will have raised just over $9,000!) The extra funds will go towards other urgent need items for the hospital. To learn more about The Royal Columbian Hospital and the urgent needs list, please visit:
www.rchfoundation.com

We are so fortunate to have such wonderful family and friends. Thank you to my sister Roberta for all her help and daily encouragement. To Erin, Gloria, Niki and Monica for all their help at the fundraiser event and selling chocolate covered almonds. Thank you to Grandma, Nonna and Auntie Mindy for helping out with Madelin when I had to run off somewhere to collect a gift card or drop off a letter. Thank you to all the businesses that donated gift cards or merchandise for the fundraiser. Thank you to all the people who made donations and who came out to the fundraiser. Thank you to the people who couldn't make it out to the fundraiser but bought a ticket to support the cause. Thank you to all the people who bought chocolate covered almonds. Thank you to all the people who sold chocolate covered almonds at their place of work to help (Dad, my sister Kat, Heidi, Sylvia, Erin, Evy, Roberta, Jen, Linda, Niki and Raymond James reception). Thank you to my nieces and nephew, Holly, Brett and Kirstin for running around in the sleet and snow to sell chocolate covered almonds. Thank you to Wesgroup for allowing us to participate in their Christmas Tree Sale event (thank you Niki for helping me!). Thank you to Jennifer Moreau and Larry Wright of The Burnaby Now/ New Westminster Record for covering this story. Thank you to CBC Radio. Thank you to "Coffee News" for running a blurb on the campaign. Thank you to Paul for bringing awareness to the campaign through his website. Thank you to Lougheed Mall for allowing me to share our story at the launch of their "Stars for Care" event, thank you to Clara. Thank you to Rhinos Pub's staff and especially Mariana. Thank you to The Point Pub and especially Danielle.Thank you to Laura for all her help with setting up the blog. Thank you to the staff at The Royal Columbian Foundation, it was a pleasure meeting you all, keep up the great work!(If there is anyone I am forgetting, please accept my apologies and accept my thanks)

Thank you to God for blessing us with such a sweet little girl and giving us such great friends and family!

Last but certainly not least, I would like to thank my wonderful, patient and understanding husband for his support through all of this. He knew that I would dedicate a lot of time to ensure that this goal would be achieved and he boldly accepted that.

Wishing you all a wonderful 2009!


Melinda

No comments: